updates

Sunday, July 01, 2007

The baptism

Here is Silas pre-baptism....and happy...with his great-gma mac Looks like there is a story being told here.
The night before with Aunt Abby. See how he poses??

So the following is the one and only photo shot of him in his baptismal outfit. I had grand ideas of how the baptism would turn out (and nightmares...). My nightmares came true. Silas didn't fall asleep as he has been doing in the past. He was awake and by the gospel reading was upset. So I picked him up. Then the sermon began, and he started squawking. So I began pacing in the back with him. He got louder...so after Fr. Curt mentioned that Silas was expressing his opinion about the sermon, I went outside with him. The usher came to get me and say that we were needed for the baptism. Silas started screaming again, I mean red faced bloody murder. So he screamed the entire dedication part. Fr. Curt asked Silas if Malone (a gentleman in the choir) was making faces at him. Then we walked to the back of the church by the baptismal font, to do the actual baptism. He was still screaming bloody murder. Fr Curt asked why he was screaming...you see Silas has his father's thermometer, and he was very overheated by this time. He had started out hot, so he got upset and got hotter and got more upset...you see how this is going. Fr. Curt got excited, you see our church is in the middle of a building project, and phase one includes the airconditioning unit being updated. So he mentions to the congregation that Silas is campaigning for a new airconditioning unit. Silas still screams on....Fr. Curt takes him to do the baptism and by this time is having to raise his voice to be heard over the screaming. Finally it is over and I whisk him out of the service. I quickly get to the bathroom and strip him. I put a cotton onesie on him. Then I nursed him while the service was finishing up. After the service, Matt and I had put together a lunch for the church. So I knew I had to at least make it through part of that....

This is where the Petrash's come in. Laura came up to me after the service and got Silas. She walked him around while he screamed and I ate. Deacon David then took him and they disappeared for a while. Deacon David took him to another part of the church---a place where the airconditioning was working in high force. Silas calmed down. So we are calling Deacon David the baby whisperer. After I ate, I took Silas home. He was asleep by 12:45 and we finally woke him up at 5:45. He wore himself out by screaming so much.



So at a later date, when the memory of his screaming is not so fresh, I plan to put Silas back in his baptismal outfit and take pictures. I also plan to take pictures of him and his godparents.
I hope that you all have a great 4th of July!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home